Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Christopher Hitchens

For those of you unaware, Christopher Hitchens (author of God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything has spent the past few months fighting against esophageal cancer. Mister Hitchens has turned pale and sickly, reminding me of my grandmother as she slowly deteriorated. It is not pleasant to see him this way, sallow and frail compared to his former self.

However, there is some good news. Even if his body falters, Hitchens remains a vivacious and powerful debater, recently trouncing the anemic David Berlinski. This comes as no surprise, Berlinski's arguments are yesterday's dirty laundry. He argues that Darwinist ideals drove Hitler, and Hitchens rightly repudiates these fetid claims. (I addressed some of these claims, and Hitchens regularly does so[4:20 seconds in the discussion begins].)

Hitchens's tumors have shrunk, according to recent statements, but this does not mean they are in remission. I sincerely hope that the treatments Hitchens receives will drive the cancer into a full retreat, but I cannot honestly say I am optimistic. When the immediate episode of this cancer comes to its conclusion, terminal or otherwise, I will write my full thoughts on Christopher Hitchens, a man I respect and admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment